This cake is what dreams are made of. It’s sweet, rich, decadent and overall just utterly delicious. Get the recipe below!
Decadent Chocolate Cake with Almond Butter Caramel
This cake is what dreams are made of. It’s sweet, rich, decadent and overall just utterly delicious. The caramel layers complement the chocolate perfectly, and no one would ever be able to tell that this cake is pretty much as healthy as a cake can be; it’s free from refined sugars, gluten and dairy. It’s plant based, and filled with healthy fats and fibre to prevent too much of a blood sugar spike.
2 cups dates, soaked for 15 minutes in hot water
2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup cacao powder
1/4 cup coconut sugar (can skip for a less sweet cake)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp bicarbonate
For an added boost: 1 tsp @sunpotion He Shou Wu
1 cup water
1/2 cup almond or coconut milk
1/2 cup strong dandelion brew (can substitute for coffee)
2 tbsp coconut oil or ghee, melted
1. Add soaked dates, water and milk to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Add more liquid if needed to blend. You want a thick, yet pourable date sauce.
2. Transfer the date paste to a large bowl. Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir well.
3. Spread the mixture out into a lined (square) tin.
4. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes.
5. Let the brownie cool for at least an hour before removing it from the tin. Move on to preparing the caramel sauce.
Almond Butter Caramel
3 tbsp almond butter
2 tbsp coconut nectar, raw honey or maple syrup
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 tbsp water or almond milk
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
Stir everything together until well combined. Add more water for a thinner consistency, and more almond butter for a thicker sauce.
Cut the chocolate cake in half. Place one half of cake on a plate and spread on half of the chocolate sauce. Repeat. I decorated with roasted grapes, figs and roses. Best served warm, or after a couple of hours in the fridge for the caramel sauce to set.